ANCIENT MAYAN KINGDOMS
An amazing tour of the most important Maya cities and archaeological sites. Embrace the mystique of the ancient Maya while visiting the most beautiful cities and natural treasures of Mexico.
Day 1: Cancun
-Arrival at Cancun’s International Airport. Reception and transfer to the hotel.
Day 2: Cancun – Chichen Itza – Merida (320 km)
-Departure and tour of Chichen Itza archaeological site. Founded in 445 A.D. was the most important city in the period of the splendor of the Mayan civilization and the most spectacular ceremonial center of the region, located just 250 kilometers from the city of Cancun.
-Transportation to Merida, check in hotel and free evening to enjoy this city rich in history and culture.
Day 3: Merida – Campeche – Palenque (528.5 km)
-Tour of Merida, also known as “The White City” because of its colonial buildings made of limestone and quarry. This city was founded by Francisco Montejo in 1542 and it brings together art, tradition and culture.
-Transportation to Campeche, a city with a glorious colonial past where the conquest of Yucatan began. Feel the magic of this fortified city that used to be haven for pirates.
-Depart and overnight in Palenque.
Day 4: Palenque – Misolha – Agua Azul – San Cristobal De Las Casas (191 km)
- Early in the morning we visit the Archaeological site of Palenque located in the heart of a rain forest, which offers a magical scenery of temples and buildings dating from the Classical period (400 - 700 AD). Among its most important buildings include: The Palace, which is distinguished by its high tower that stands out from the rest of the building, the Temple of the Sun and The temple of the Cross that surrounds the mysterious Temple of the Inscriptions with the tomb of King Pakal.
-Departure to San Cristobal de las Casas on the way we have opportunity to visit the dazzling waterfalls of Agua Azul and Misol-Ha.
-Arrival and overnight in San Cristobal de las Casas. Free evening to explore this friendly and colorful magic village.
Day 5: Cristobal-El Cañon del Sumidero (56 km one way)
-Early departure to the ecological park El Cañon del Sumidero, with magnificent views of the canyon and impressive geological formations in the cliffs and river banks. Admire the Cave of Silence, the Cave of the Colors, the waterfalls and the majestic Christmas tree among other attractions.
- Return to San Cristobal and free afternoon to tour this beautiful city and get an amazing view of the surrounding mountains from the churches on hills on the east and west sides of town.
-Overnight in San Cristobal de las Casas.
Day 6: San Cristobal-Zinacatan/San Juan Chamula (10 km one way)
-Transfer to visit the villages of Zinancantan and San Juan Chamula just 10 km from San Cristobal. Get close to the culture and traditions of these Tzotzil communities that are very proud of their roots. Acquire beautiful embroidered clothes, amber jewelry and woolen sweaters.
-Overnight in San Cristobal.
Day 7: San Cristobal – Panajachel (400 km)
- Depart from Mexico's territory to the border of Guatemala. At La Mesilla, crossing the river and custom check point we change of car and driver.
- Arrival to Panajachel, located in the Guatemala highlands.
- Boat tour on the Atitlan Lake where you can enjoy the spectacular view of 3 volcanoes and the lake, described by Aldous Huxley as the most beautiful lake in the world.
- Overnight in Panajachel.
Day 8: Panajachel – Chichicastenango (40 km one way)
- Departure to the famous Chichicastenango handicraft market for a day visit of what is considered the most colorful native market in Latin America. The colors, quality and craft of the textiles, masks, woodcarvings and amber jewelry from vendors from all over Guatelama will dazzle you!
- Transfer back and overnight in Panajachel.
Day 9: Panajachel – Antigua (112 km)
- Transfer to Antigua and free afternoon to visit this colonial jewel where time has halt. Wander down the cobbled stone street streets full of XVII century Spanish architecture buildings and mansions.
- Overnight in Antigua.
Day 10: Antigua
- Day visit of the enchanting Colonial city of Antigua. Considered as the most splendid city of the Spanish Empire and World Heritage Site by UNESCO, Antigua, is full of multicolored houses, splendid churches, plazas, monasteries and convents.
- Overnight in Antigua.
Day 11: Antigua – Copan (288 km)
- Day tour in Copan, Honduras, an oasis of ancient Mayan culture and sublime nature only 14 km. away from Guatemala's border.
Copan ruins are considered the Paris of the Mayan World, considered by UNESCO as World Heritage Site. Visit the Acropolis, the Tunnels, the Ball Court and the Hieroglyphic Stairway.
- Overnight in Copan.
Day 12: Copan – Puerto Barrios- Livingston (254 km + 30 min boat ride)
- Departure to Puerto Barrios, a very important port city of Guatemala. This beautiful port has a great commercial activity with constant arrivals of cruise ships and commercial vessels. From this point we transfer by boat to Livingstone home for the Guatemalan part of the Garifuna culture.
-Overnight in Livingston.
Day 13: Livinsgton – Rio Dulce- Tikal- Flores (4 hours boat ride + 63km)
-Boat transfer from Livingston to Rio Dulce. Transfer to Tikal National Park and guided tour of one of the major sites of the ancient Mayans. Located in the heart of the jungle, and surrounded by lush vegetation, lay temples and palaces of a city that flourished over 2,000 year ago.
- Transfer and overnight in the charming villa of Flores. Enjoy the small hotels and handicraft stores with Caribbean sensibility.
Day 14: Flores – Cancun-Playa Del Carmen (68 km land transfer)
-Departure from Flores to Cancun in a flight by Taca Airlines.
-Arrival to Cancun international Airport and transfer to Playa del Carmen.
-Overnight in Playa del Carmen.
Day 15: Playa Del Carmen
-Free day to enjoy the cosmopolitan Playa del Carmen. Spend a lovely beach day and after sunset stroll down its famous 5ta Avenida (5th avenue), where you will find numerous restaurants, lounges, stores and clubs.
-Overnight in Playa del Carmen.
Day 16: Del Carmen-Cancun (68 km)
-Transfer to Cancun’s International Airport.
• Private transportation listed on the itinerary.
• Entrance Fee to: Chichen Itza, Palenque, native communities in San Cristobal, Copan and Tikal.
• Tour by boat in Canon del Sumidero, Atitlan lake.
• Transfer by boat in Livingston
• 15 hotel nights in Continental plan.
• Expenses of the driver
• Food and meals not mentioned.
• Air plane tickets.
• Entrance fee not mentioned.
• Custom and border taxes in Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras.